Big Ten Media Day is underway in Chicago. John Beilein, Manny Harris, and DeShawn Sims are there representing Michigan. The AP Preseason Top 25 and Naismith Preseason Top 50 lists are also due out sometime today.
Friday – Andy Katz looks at Beilein’s preparation and his passion for breaking down film.
Friday – The Daily profiles DeShawn Sims and his newfound maturity.
9:45 PM – Big Ten Media Day Coached Transcripts (PDF)
3:17 PM – In his breakdown of the top 25, Mike DeCourcy lists Michigan as his overrated team.
2:51 PM – DeShawn Sims speaks about expectations and the NBA. Video from Mike Rothstein of AnnArbor.com:
12:44 PM – The AP Poll was just released, similar to the Coaches’ poll, Michigan comes in at 15th. Other Big Ten teams include Michigan St (2), Purdue (7), Ohio State (16), Illinois (23), and Minnesota (25).
12:39 PM – Manny Harris stopped for a quick interview with the Big Ten Network:
- This is one of the toughest schedules Michigan has played in sometime. Possibly one of the toughest in Beilein’s career.
- Beilein on rebuilding: “You have to build those relationships and then you have that trust.”
- Zack Novak is a leader on this team despite being a sophomore. Novak is a good glue guy, is in great shape, and is at the business school.
- Beilein wrote the team a letter this offseason telling them that they are still hunters, they haven’t achieved anything yet. When Michigan in the NCAAs is expected, then they will have the program turned around.
- Beilein says that the NBA can be a great motivator, tells Harris and Sims to practice everyday as if there are NBA scouts watching.
- 10:01 AM — Manny Harris was named to the Preseason Top 50 Naismith Watch List. JaJuan Johnson definitely got snubbed and I think DeShawn Sims deserves to be on the list as well.
- 8:34 AM — The USA Today Preseason Top 25 has been released, Michigan comes in at #15. Other ranked Big Ten schools include MSU 2, Purdue 7, OSU 17, and Minnesota 18.
- 8:34 AM — The Preseason All Big Ten team includes Kalin Lucas (POTY), Manny Harris, Evan Turner, Talor Battle, and Robbie Hummel.
- 8:34 AM — The media chose a top 3 in conference of Michigan St, Purdue, and Ohio State.
Here is John Beilein’s pre-Media Day interview with the Big Ten Network: