USA Basketball announced today that Tim Hardaway Jr. made the cut for 2011 USA U19 World Championship team. That means that Hardaway will spend the next three weeks training in Colorado and traveling to Europe to participate in the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championships.
Hardaway participated in four try-out sessions over the last three days and survived the cut from 20 down to 13. Team workouts in Colorado will continue throughout the week, and there will be one more cut (Jeff Goodman reports this is down to Keith Appling or James Bell) before the team leaves for Europe on Friday. The first stop will be in Lithuania where Team USA will practice and scrimmage against the Lithuanian U19 and U20 National Teams. From there, the team will travel to Latvia for the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championships which will run from June 30th through July 10th.
The USA youth program has been very successful in recent years and several college stars have improved after participating. The 2009 team featured players like Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Klay Thompson and Ashton Gibbs, all of whom had good freshmen seasons before elevating their games to another level after returning.
Two other Big Ten players made the cut, Keith Appling and Meyers Leonard, while Iowa sophomore Melsahn Basabe wasn’t so fortunate. Find the full Team USA U-19 Roster and a collection of links to further reading material after the jump. (Photo: Steven Maikoski/USA Basketball)
Team USA U19 Roster [link]
- Keith Appling – Michigan State
- James Bell – Villanova
- Anthony Brown – Stanford
- Jahii Carson – Arizona State
- Tim Hardaway Jr. – Michigan
- Joe Jackson – Memphis
- Jeremy Lamb – Connecticut
- Meyers Leonard – Illinois
- Khyle Marshall – Butler
- Javon McCrea – Buffalo
- Doug McDermott – Creighton
- Tony Mitchell – North Texas
- Patric Young – Florida
- Tim Hardaway Jr. hungry to make a name for himself at U-19 trials
Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News
- Hardaway Preps for Team USA Tryout
- 2011 FIBA Men’s U19 World Championship — Just The Facts / Schedule
Schedule, basics, etc.
- Men’s U19 Participants Arrive At USOTC
Quotes from Tim and other participants before camp opened
- Michigan guard Tim Hardaway Jr. prepares for U-19 USA Basketball tryouts
Hardaway chats with Rothstein about the experience