Joe Stapleton is completing his third season (2011, 2013, 2014) as our beat writer at UM Hoops and will be moving on after this season. Joe has been an invaluable asset, but it’s time to start thinking about replacing him.
We are looking for a new beat writer who will attend media sessions (usually weekday afternoons) throughout the season and cover every home game (along with choice road games). While the job is not full time, it is paid and an opportunity to expand your skills and gain valuable experience covering a top-25 basketball program.
- Attend media availability sessions, all Michigan home games, and select road games.
- Write game stories, previews, columns, Five Key Plays, and other stories as demanded by the beat.
- Attend select AAU tournaments and high school games featuring Michigan recruiting targets.
- Conduct phone interviews with Michigan basketball recruiting targets.
- Help monitor comments and message board posts in the UM Hoops community.
- Love basketball.
- Writing and interviewing experience covering sports.
- Working knowledge of Michigan basketball and the college basketball landscape.
- Dress and act professionally.
- Ability to be on time and meet deadlines.
- Schedule amenable to job demands (media sessions, home games, away games).
- Live in the general Ann Arbor area.
- Basic understanding of tempo free stats and an interest in sports analytics.
- Basic HTML, CSS, WordPress or other CMS experience.
- Experience covering high school basketball or recruiting.
- Basic Photoshop skills (or interest in graphic design), basic video editing skills (or interest).
- Understanding of basic search engine optimization (SEO) concepts and principles.
How do I apply?
Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume, writing samples, links, and anything else that makes you a good candidate.
Don’t hesitate to apply if you meet just a certain portion of the criteria. We are looking for help across the board and are certainly open to mixing and matching, if required.