The NBA season has gotten underway with the start of training camp and various media day events across the league. Here’s a rundown of former Michigan players and their start to the 2014-15 season including several media day video interviews.
- Kevin Durant praised Mitch McGary and his enthusiasm: “He was on the other side of the court, screaming: ‘Good shot, Kev!’” Durant said, shaking his head in delight. “I’m thinking, this guy’s an All-American type of teammate right there.”
- But big man Serge Ibaka didn’t even know who he was: “Ibaka was asked if he’s had a chance to play with Mitch McGary. “Mitch McGary? Mitch McGary… McGary?” Straight up didn’t know who he was.”
- Nik Stauskas is learning to shoot more often in training camp as well as dealing with the physicality of the NBA: “I’m used to when I get a step on a guy, I think I going to get to the rim,” stated Stauskas following the fourth day of Training Camp. “The next thing you know, they (the defender) give you a forearm to your side and you get bumped off your line. I’m not used to having that happen – [I just need to] adjust to that and embrace the physicality.”
- Tim Hardaway Jr. had a very successful rookie season and is focused on improving his defense this year: “Just try to find easy ways to get steals and deflections. I know with the new staff that we have, Derek Fisher is going to help us out with that,” Hardaway Jr. said. “I think I could be more effective talking on the defensive end, just being in the right spot at the right time. My rookie season I wasn’t really good at that at all, so just trying to enhance that any way that I can and just improve on all aspects.”
- Glenn Robinson III had his first practice on Tuesday after being signed to a guaranteed contract late this summer. Robinson also got to show off some of his athleticism in Minnesota’s Dunks after Dark event and the Timberwolves might have some of the best young dunkers in the league with Zach LaVine, Andrew Wiggins and Robinson.
- The start of Trey Burke’s sophomore season in the NBA hasn’t been smooth. He’s surrounded in controversy for a nude photo which circulated on social media and will face high expectations after an up-and-down rookie season. Burke will also have to adjust with sharing backcourt responsibilities with first round pick Dante Exum.