- Freshman Darius Morris wants to assist the Wolverines now
Angelique profiles Darius Morris
- Michigan guard Manny Harris’ sister, Janelle, a key adviser
Manny’s sister, Janelle, will be playing in Crisler Arena tonight
- U-M freshman Morris not too young to make impact
Everyone’s favorite villain, Michael Rosenberg, has bought into the Darius Morris hype as well.
Old Friends. It was an eventful weekend for a few ex-Wolverines. First, Ekpe Udoh was the hero in Waco, Texas with a buzzer beating 18 foot jump shot to secure a 2 point win over Hartford. Udoh notched 21 points (8-11) with 7 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3 assists, and a steal. Michigan and Baylor could match-up on Sunday of the Old Spice Classic.
A pair of former Michigan coaches have gotten off to a hot start as well. Tommy Amaker’s Harvard team moved to 2-0 thanks to this buzzer beater in 3OT from Jeremy Lin. Former Amaker assistant and Eastern Michigan headman Charles Ramsey also picked up a nice win, knocking off Oakland at the O-Rena.
Plus/Minus. The Big Ten Geeks passed along some plus/minus numbers from Michigan’s season opener. These numbers aren’t really that useful because Northern never even really went on a run.
Player +/- (Per40)
Lucas-Perry Laval 24 (46)
Sims DeShawn 34 (54)
Harris Manny 39 (54)
Novak, Zack 27 (54)
Morris, Darius 31 (50)
Douglass, Stu 23 (54)
Gibson, Zack 17 (49)
Wright, Anthony 19 (58)
Cronin, Ben 0 (0)
Vogrich, Matt 21 (65)
Person, Corey 0 (0)
Puls, Eric –1 (-10)
Bartelstein, Josh –1 (-10)
Akunne, Eso 2 (11)
Marathon. The ESPN 24 hour marathon of basketball action begins tonight at midnight. ESPN has the full lineup of action. It’s probably a good time to mention that you should bookmark Matt Sarz Sports on TV website. It’s one of the most useful websites for a college hoops fan to watch a game on TV.
Around the Big Ten
- Northwestern announced that Kevin Coble is out for the season with a foot injury. To make matters worse, Jeff Ryan is out as well with a torn ACL. At least there’s always next year.
- Reed Baker’s return to the state of Michigan wasn’t so great, Michigan State dominated Florida Gulf Coast in a 97-58 win. Michigan St. plays a huge game Tuesday evening when Gonzaga makes the trip to East Lansing.
- Iowa suffered a painful home loss to Texas-San Antonio, it’s going to be a long season for the Hawkeyes.
- Ohio State rolled over a couple mediocre teams en route to a 2-0 start, their first test will come Thursday when they take on North Carolina at Madison Square Garden.
- Despite rumors of his expulsion, Royce White remains enrolled at Minnesota.
- The Big Ten Geeks have a full breakdown.