Due to the team’s hectic schedule, John Beilein was made available for a brief teleconference this afternoon. Here are some notes:
- Matt Vogrich “should be able to practice with us.” Vogrich was sick for last night’s game, and the team isn’t sure if it was an allergic reaction to something he ate or a 24-hour bug.
- “Since the Minnesota game we’ve been very consistent with a lot of things.” Difficult to maintain focus when you’re tired in a game, but it helps that a lot of guys are playing a lot of minutes. That’s one thing Beilein would like to improve: either using the bench more or maintaining focus through fatigue.
- “The energy and the effort part has not been in question at all, recently.”
- On officiating during last night’s game against Ohio State: “It’s hard to know what’s going to be called, how it’s going to be called in a particular game.” Still learning how to play physical without fouling, “not as good as others at that right now.”
- On Jordan Morgan last night: “he did some really good things, especially in the second half, yesterday and provided us with some rebounding as well as boxing out.”
- Will have to take some things away from Talor Battle’s supporting cast against Penn State. On Battle: “When he’s making shots, there’s no defense for him.”
- On Jeff Brooks’ injury and is that affects the game plan going into Penn State: “We just go in assuming people are going to play.” On one-or-two day rest, it’s hard to get too specific about who they’re going to play.
- On Tim Hardaway Jr.’s green light: “He knows his green light.” He’s very aware right now about what shot is a good shot for him. Mentioned during the game when OSU was making a small run and stretched the lead to nine points and then Evan Smotrycz hit a 3-pointer and Tim did the same. Loves seeing Tim put the ball on the floor and taking it to the rim as well. Trying to get him more involved with the ball in his hands than away from the ball.