Jerry Dunn and UNCW
Michigan assistant coach Jerry Dunn is a finalist for the UNC-Wilmington head coaching position. The other candidates are Ed Conroy (The Citadel), Dave Odom, and Mike Lonergan. According to The Star News, Dunn, Conroy, and Odom have all met with athletic director Kelly Mehrtens.
Dunn took a leave on absence this season before returning to the team as an administrative assistant. The reasons for Dunn’s departure are unclear and not public knowledge. Former administrative assistant Jeff Meyer assumed Dunn’s roles and continued to act as assistant coach once Dunn arrived. Meyer was a longtime assistant coach, most recently with Indiana (06-08), Missouri (04-06), and Butler (01-04).
Judging by what transpired over the second half of the season, it seems unlikely that Dunn (a former head coach himself) would want to stay on the staff in an administrative role and a move to UNCW would certainly seem to be a good fit.
Isaiah Sykes and Carlton Brundidge will both be in action tonight
High School Hoops
Last weekend was filled with thrilling college games but today should be an extremely entertaining night on the high school level for Michigan’s state quarterfinals.
Detroit Denby wing Isaiah Sykes is rapidly rising up Michigan’s recruiting board and he will be in action at 5:30 PM at U of D’s Calihan Hall. Denby will be taking on Taylor Kennedy in the first game of a double header. Denby got this far by knocking off nationally ranked Pershing High and Mr. Basketball Keith Appling.
The second game features Michigan junior commitment Carlton Brundidge. Brundidge has led Southfield (20-5) on an improbable run through the state tournament and they will face a disciplined De La Salle (21-4) squad in the nightcap. Tickets are on sale here. Calvin will be covering the game for UMHoops and is planning to get some film of Sykes in action.
The other can’t miss game is Detroit Country Day vs. Flint Powers; the top 2 Class B teams in the state will face off at Brighton High School (7PM). Country Day features superstar point guard Ray McCallum and 2011 Michigan target Amir Williams while Powers features Patrick Lucas-Perry and 2012 Michigan target Javontae Hawkins.
You can find a full listing of quarterfinal games at the MHSAA official website.
- Trey Zeigler will be playing in the Derby Festival Classic on April 10th in Louisville. You can find the full roster here.
- 2011 target Marshall Plumlee is planning to play for the USA team in the Albert-Schweitzer Tournament which takes place this spring in Germany. Rivals also posted video of a recent Plumlee game ($) and the Christ School will be playing in the ESPN Rise Invitational (April 1-3) which features a number ESPN/U televised games.
- This is a very honest and fair NBA draft scouting report of Manny Harris (dated Feb 3rd), DraftExpress has him as a late second round pick.
- Sophomore Chris Babb and freshman Bill Edwards have decided to transfer from Penn State and Battle Does It Again has the breakdown.
- Kalin Lucas’ injury has been confirmed as a ruptured Achilles. Lucas is expected to make a full recovery but also miss 4 to 6 months. Terrible news and best of luck to Lucas in his recovery.
- 2011 Gabriel Richard big man Darren Washington has been garnering some Michigan interest but most recently he received an offer from Central Michigan.
- Dan Wetzel on the murder of Clarence “Sunny J” Jones and the collapse of high school basketball in Detroit.