Indiana handed Michigan its first Big Ten loss of the season as a solid first half defensive performance turned sour, and Yogi Ferrell rained threes on the Wolverines all night. The blame for Yogi Ferrell’s three point barrage was fairly balanced with Caris LeVert, Derrick Walton, Zak Irvin, Jordan Morgan and Nik Stauskas all getting credited with at least half a made three for Ferrell.
Jordan Morgan continues to cement himself as the anchor of Michigan’s defense. He was terrific hedging ball screens, eliminating a lot of Indiana’s offensive action going toward the basket, and contested a number of shots around the rim. Noah Vonleh had a few baskets, but Morgan’s experience in the low block was evident as he forced him into a few uncomfortable looks despite his size disadvantage.
- Derrick Walton graded out fairly well, but it should be noted that Michigan switched LeVert onto Ferrell for most of the second half. Earlier in the season, Walton was a huge liability defensively, but he’s continued to improve on that side of the ball.
- Caris LeVert was once again one of Michigan’s more active defenders. He got caught a couple times allowing Ferrell to knock down some open looks, but did a decent job sticking with him throughout.
- Jon Horford didn’t grade out that well because he didn’t grab a rebound in eight minutes and gave up a basket to Vonleh on the low block.
- Nik Stauskas also didn’t fare too well, but he wasn’t challenged that often either — note his low percentage of possessions. The scary part of Stauskas’s numbers is that I didn’t mark him down for a single forced missed field goal in 35 minutes.
- Spike Albrecht gave Michigan a huge boost offensively in the first half by triggering some transition offense, but he also was liable on three Indiana baskets in the first half.
PREVIOUS DEFENSIVE SCORE SHEETS:
- Defensive Score Sheet: Purdue at Michigan
- Defensive Score Sheet: Michigan at Michigan State
- Defensive Score Sheet: Iowa at Michigan
- Defensive Score Sheet: Michigan at Wisconsin
- Defensive Score Sheet: Penn State at Michigan
Find the full calculations regarding the defensive score sheet here. The primary stats that may be unfamiliar are:
- FM – Forced field goal miss (includes blocks)
- FTO – Forced Turnover (steals, charges taken)
- FFTA – Forced missed Free Throw Attempt
- DFGM – Allowed Defensive Field Goal Made
- DFTM – Allowed Free Throw Made
Defensive Rating (DRtg) is calculated based on the stops and scoring possessions assigned to the player, it’s an estimated measure of points per 100 possessions.